But how? By planting trees, extinguishing fires, collecting sacred flowers to awaken Sanki…
Four Spirits of Nature – Winter, Spring, Summer and Autumn – have been called to rescue the Sacred Tree of the Forest facing the devastating flames of Onibi…
In Living Forest, you play one of these four Spirits of Nature trying to save the Forest. You’re not alone in this task, Guardian Animals have come together around the Circle of Spirits where you progress to help you. Each turn, they bring some precious elements and if you manage to combine a good team of Guardian Animals, you can perform actions optimally. But beware, some of them are solitary and do not like to meet other fellows.
Which Spirit of Nature will save the forest?
Goal of the game
In Living Forest you play a Spirit of Nature trying to save the Forest and its sacred Tree from Onibi’s relentless attacks. You have one of three ways to do this: by planting 12 different Protective Trees, by collecting 12 Sacred Flowers to awaken Sanki the great Guardian of the Forest, by extinguishing 12 Fires to permanently repel Onibi.
Each turn includes 3 phases:
- Guardian Animals: All the Spirits of Nature play at the same time. You draw and turn face up, one after the other, the Guardian Animal cards from your personal draw stack. You thus form the Animal Guardian Help Line. You can stop drawing cards whenever you want. However, if you reveal a card showing a third solitary symbol, then you must stop drawing cards. This card closes your Help Line.
Solitary and Gregarious symbols present on some cards
- Action: The Spirits of Nature play in turn. If your Help Line shows strictly less than three solitary symbols (not canceled by gregarious symbols), you can then perform 2 different Actions. If your Help Line shows three solitary symbols (not canceled by gregarious symbols), you can then perform only 1 Action. The strength of an Action is determined by the number of corresponding Elements visible on the Guardian Animal cards on your Help Line and on your Forest individual board.
Take a Fragment tile Action
Attract one or more Guardian Animals Action
Extinguish the Fire Action
Plant one and only one Protective Tree Action
Move forward on the Circle of Spirits Action
- End of the turn:
- Onibi is attacking you: If some Fires remain at the center of the Circle of Spirits and that you cannot resist them, then add as many Fire Varan cards to your discard stack as there are Fire tiles at the center of the Circle of Spirits.
- Onibi is attacking the Sacred Tree: Add as many Fires to the center of the Circle of Spirits as there are Guardian Animal cards taken this turn.
- The arrival of new Guardian Animals: Complete the Guardian Animal reserve by revealing as many new cards per level as there were cards taken this turn.
- Giving the Sacred Tree: Give the Sacred Tree to the next Spirit of Nature clockwise.
- The Return of Guardian Animals: Move all the Animal Guardian cards from your Help Line to your personal discard stack.
End of the Game
The game stops at the end of a complete turn when one of the Spirit of Nature has managed to collect at choice and at least:
12 different Protective Trees. Count all the different Trees placed on your individual Forest board, including the starting Tree, as well as all the Victory Tree tiles if you have any.
12 Fires. Count the number of tiles you have won, not their value, as well as all the Fire Victory tiles if you have any.
12 Sacred Flowers. Count the number of Flowers visible on your Help Line, on your Forest individual board and on the Flower Victory tiles if you have any.